Sunday, February 13, 2011

Letting Love

I'm writing this post with pinkish-red fingernail polish, listening to Josh Wilson's "Before the Morning." I thought that song would maybe neatly label 2010, . . . but it's coming into this year too. As I listen to it though, I don't feel the hopelessness I felt last year. Yeah, there's definitely sadness and pain but a promise. Of morning.

As I came to sit down and type though, I wasn't planning on typing on fingernail polish or Josh Wilson songs though. I came with an intent on staining my thoughts onto a blog post, thoughts about . . . enemies.

One of the favorite sermons I remember hearing from my pastor back home was on Nehemiah, and one of his points was simple BUT SO PROFOUND.

Know Your Enemy.

I walked into a weekend confused. So confused. I tried to remember this point though.

Know Your Enemy.

My enemies . . .

anger.

bitterness.

fear.

disobedience.

Satan.

My enemies are not the ones who hurt me (whether intentionally or not). My enemy is the Evil One who wants to destroy me. My enemy is the sin in myself. It's an anger and bitterness that wants to control and kill me. It's the lies that want to destroy me.

I wonder how many arguments, how much anger could be squashed if I remembered who the real enemy is. People? No. Evil? Satan? YES!!!

2 Corinthians 10:3-6 NIV
"For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. And we will be ready to punish every act of disobedience, once your obedience is complete."

Let's fight, friends! But let's fight the right enemies. Let's know who they are, and when we know, we can fight them, letting bitterness fall and crack and die. Letting love swish through and heal again . . .

No comments: