Sunday, August 30, 2009

Rock

So, I wanted to get another post in before my 1000 gifts post tomorrow (Lord willing). :) I was cleaning out one of my drawers yesterday, and I found a sheet filled with C.S. Lewis quotes that I had typed out from the book Mere Christianity, which I HIGHLY recommend by the way. :) Anyways, I wanted to share with you a quote that I really like, one that makes me desire to reach further, to be more like my Savior. It goes like this:


"Every now and then one meets them [men that Christ has made new]. Their voices and faces are different from ours: stronger, quieter, happier, more radiant. They begin where most of us leave off. They are, I say, recognizable; but you must know what to look for. They will not be very like the idea of 'religious people' which you have formed from your general reading. They do not draw attention to themselves. You tend to think that you are being kind to them when they are really being kind to you. They love you more than other men do, but they need you less. (We must get over wanting to be needed: in some goodish people, especially women, that is the hardest of all temptations to resist. [how true of me at least]) They will usually seem to have a lot of time: you will wonder where it comes from. When you have recognized one of them, you will recognize the next one much more easily."

Oh, Jesus, make me new.

Today was a big day. It was the "installation" service of a new associate pastor to my church, a celebration. It is the day that I found out that one of my dear older friends has the healthy use of only 30% of his heart, bad news. It is the day that I figured out that yet another church member has cancer. It's hard to be made new, to stand strong upon a Rock that never fails, when the torrents fall heavy, and heart splinters under its weight. I'm really not feeling that discouraged right now, but I think that if I dwelt on it, it would hurt. Last Sunday for special music, a young mom with twins and her aunt beautifully sang the song "In Christ Alone." Here's a link to hear it on youtube. It's beautiful! Part of the lyrics go like this:

"This Cornerstone, this Solid Ground,
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm."

I love that. I love that He's the Solid Ground now for the storms that might come later. I love that the Rock is SOUND for all the future storms that I WILL travel through. Guaranteed. It is also capable of holding us through our present flash floods and storms. He is enough.

Other lines that stick out are "Light of the world by darkness slain / Then bursting forth in glorious day / Up from the grave He rose again." I love this: "Jesus commands my destiny," and "Sin's curse has lost its grip on me." alleluia. If you want to be blessed, take some time to read the lyrics and listen to the song. It's incredible!

I hope your Sunday was a day on the Rock, resting in the One who has made all the difference. :)

Yours truly,
just Simply Danae

PS See you tomorrow for more gift tracking Lord willing! :)

No comments: