Friday, February 26, 2010

Love Mission Revisited

In honor of me surviving a whole week of being *insert age here*, I am celebrating with a bowl of German chocolate cake and a smidgen of chocolate, chocolate chip ice cream . . . Mmm. Plus, there are other reasons to celebrate! For example . . .

MY SCHOOL'S GIRLS BASKETBALL TEAM IS GOING TO STATE!!!
[I'm so excited for them! Plus, it means we get a day of school off next week . . . um, did I mention that I am happy about this?]

I completed two (almost three) scholarship application ding-dongs
. . . whew! (And for the record, part of it was painful . . . smile).

I survived a whole week and woo hoo for weekends! My mom, sis, and I are going to be learning more about Jesus at a women's conference tomorrow. So excited! Hope to be refreshed . . .

What are you celebrating today?

And by the way, I really wanted to update you on my love mission. Actually, I felt like it was kind of a flop today, like I lived it as basically just another ordinary day. There were a few times when I tried to reach out, but it wasn't what I wanted it to be. Good thing is, my mission to love isn't just a one day adventure. I'm going to be on it tomorrow (and the tomorrow after tomorrow, and the tomorrow after tomorrow's tomorrow, and . . . well, you know). I think part of my problem lately has been that I've felt so overshadowed by other people/person who has earned a reputation of really caring for people and being fun and beautiful. You see, I'm one of those people who often shine best in the darkness while shrinking back when there's a presence of others' lights. I don't think that's right because it's me not being the child God ordained me to be, not playing my role, trying to let others fill the spot, you know? Another roadblock I ran into was trying to figure out what loving people looks like for me. I'm an encourager, so I think that I probably generally show love the most by words and affirmation, and sometimes it's hard to fit that type of showing love into each circumstance. I think I need to work harder on learning different ways to love. K-Love hosts have recently been talking about the 5 Love Languages, outline in Gary Chapman's book. The 5 primary ways of giving/receiving love is gift giving, words of affirmation, acts of service, quality time, and physical touch. I'm not positive, but I probably fall under the category of best giving/receiving love through words of affirmation and maybe acts of service?? I don't know. I really want to grow in how I love others though, trying to figure out the best way they accept love and giving it to them through that medium. Hmm . . . not easy, but Jesus does it for us, and if I want to be like Him . . .

Another way that I think I can improve my mission skills is by really immersing myself in the love of God before I step out to love the world. By that I mean standing in prayer and in the Word of God, in His presence, and just reminding myself of the fact (and allowing Jesus to remind me) that I'm loved in such a deep, cleansing way by the Maker of the stars! What magnificent love!

Well, I really got to go. I'm so tired tonight. I think for continual celebration for the weekend, I will shortly . . . go to sleep. You know you're overworked when sleep is one of the greatest gifts . . . sheesh! :) Kidding . . . more like you know you're a time waster (if you're danae). :) Oh, speaking of time wasters, I wanted to show you this quote that's being displayed on my facebook page for awhile:

One of the great uses of Twitter and Facebook will be to prove at the Last Day that prayerlessness was not from lack of time.


-- John Piper

All right, y'all . . . I'm checking out. Have a fantastic weekend! Be refreshed!

No comments: