Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Day 10: Broken Towards Willing Submission

One of the definitions of brokenness is "tamed, trained, or reduced to submission."

The example that goes with that is a horse that's broken (trained).

This reminded me of verses that the wise, wise Muriel Cook shared in my Ministry to Women Class a week or so back. 

Psalm 32:8-9

"I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; 
I will counsel you with my eye upon you.
Be not like a horse or a mule, without understanding,
which must be curbed with bit and bridle, 
or it will not stay near you."

Muriel described the horse as a skittish creature that would much rather run away than be obedient.

The mule is known for its stubbornness. 

Both need to be broken in order to be maneuvered, in order to move them in the direction they're meant to move.

Jesus? I am so immovable some days, aren't I? You instruct me, and my heart runs south, aggravated and distracted.

Lord, will You break me? Train me into Your ways, breaking me out of my ways? What does this look like, Jesus? Is there something I need to do? or is it all something You do?

Thank You for how personal You are in leading me, counseling me. The word submission rubs against the grain of my soul, and I don't want it to be that way. I'm so messed up, Jesus. Please teach me submission, a brokenness that leads me to full, willing, excited obedience. You are worth obeying. You are Most High. Alleluia.

In Jesus' name,
Amen.


No comments: