Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Day 2: Finding a New Meaning in Brokenness

I looked up "Broken" in BlueLetterBible.org (new.best.friend.),  and at least one of the Hebrew words that we translate as broken (the word "dakah") comes up 5 times in the Old Testament!

THIS IS SO EXCITING!!!!

I was starting to wonder as I thought about this topic if broken was just a "feeling/Christianese" word. I knew it was mentioned in the Bible, but I have been guilty of overusing it into a no-meaning, skeletal existence.

But there is meaning. And I'm getting hints that this meaning might change me.

I'll talk more about some of these verses later hopefully, but for now, I'll just leave ya with 'em. The words in the brackets are my attempt to try to fill us in on the context . . . think of them as commentary . . . sorta.

Psalm 10:10
The helpless are crushed [broken], sink down, and fall by his [the wicked man's] might.

Psalm 38:8
I am feeble and crushed [broken] [because of sin]; I groan because of the tumult of my heart.

Psalm 44:19
[We have not done wrong] yet You have broken us in the place of jackals and covered us with the shadow of death.

Psalm 51:8
Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones that you have broken [because of my sin] rejoice.

Psalm 51:17
The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken  and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.

It's interesting that these verses are all in the Psalms. David knew brokenness well . . . may the God of this incredible man teach me something about it through this month. I've got a lot to learn.

No comments: