Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Day 18: Confidence

This morning, I read these words.

Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
Hebrews 4:14-17 esv

When I pray, I come to Jesus . . . who understands. And because of Him, because He understands, I can come to the throne of grace, but not sheepishly. With confidence. Not because I deserve to approach that throne but because He understands. This is prayer. When I pray before Jesus, I'm coming in front of His throne. I receive mercy and find grace here, no matter what I've done. It's so funny how I run from Jesus when my sin creeps over my head. That's when I need Him the most. It's funny that even in these moments, when I feel I don't deserve to enter His presence, that He allows me to enter confidently, trusting who He is. He has enough mercy and grace for me.

I need His mercy and grace. I must not fully understand this need however, because if I did, it would draw me to my knees much more. I need to see my need.

Heavenly Father?
Thank You so, so much for letting me approach Your throne in confidence. Thank You that when I come, You give me all that I need to make it. You give me the mercy I so desperately need and the grace that refreshes me. Please help me to recognize my need. Let my need bring me to Your feet. I love You. I really do need You. A lot.

I blew it today in so many ways, Jesus. I focused so fully on myself. I've failed with the whole try-to-remember-to-pray-at-each-hour goal. I haven't spent the time or put in the energy. I need Your mercy. Thank You so much for supplying it in abundance. You are so good to me. You are holy.

In Jesus' name.
Amen.

No comments: