Thursday, October 20, 2011

Day 20: Praying Scriptures

The past few days, I've been an agitated pray-er. To be honest, I need to admit that I've failed with my prayer goals for this week. I think I've been so agitated that I've been so inward focused in my prayers and feel so lost in knowing what prayer should be that I've wanted to give up on those commitments. Plus, I didn't want to just do a dry duty.

Honestly, I've felt kind of defeated and spun up in guilt webs. Today, after chapel, I was able to spend some time in my school's prayer chapel. It was so good, especially because someone was playing and singing songs to Jesus on the piano in there while I sat and just soaked up being in Jesus. His grace is so full. That was healing to be able to sit in Jesus' presence again and be still and be in a new environment. Centered me.

But then later today, I was talking with a friend about my prayer struggles, and he opened his Bible to the Psalms. He shared with me something that's so great! He says that he declares truth from the Psalms when he prays. For example, he turned to Psalms 37 and shared an example.

I will "Fret not."

I will "trust in the LORD, and do good."

I will "Delight [myself in the LORD]."

I will "Commit [my] way to the LORD."

I will "Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for Him."

etc.

I LOVE this, love this idea of praying God's Word in such direct ways. I needed that. I needed that suggestion and encouragement, and I want to put it to use. This helps center me and helps me because it leads me to praying for things I know are good and healthy. I don't know if that makes sense, but ya want to try it with me? It just might change the way we pray. :)

Dear Father,
Thank You so much for this wild day, for those You put in my path to encourage me, for the story of You and Peter and the waves and sinking, for Jared sharing with me about Psalms. Thank You, Lord, for the way You help center me and lead me back. Please keep doing it. I love You. I am so grateful to be Simply Yours.

In Jesus' name. Amen.

1 comment:

Briana said...

i like what he shared! That is so good and we even talked about it here this week. I haven't been going so well in my prayer life either but I was able to go up to the cross for the 1st time with Ronna and just pour out my heart. It is SO good to get away sometimes! New environment with not many people.