Saturday, October 22, 2011

Day 22: Ceasing to Pray

"Moreover, as for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the LORD by ceasing to pray for you, and I will instruct you in the good and the right way." (1 Samuel 12:23)

Please read in context here.

WOAH!!!!! I wish I would have jumped into Biblegateway.com earlier. Today, I just typed in "Pray" as the keyword, and it gave me a list of treasures. This was one that stuck out to me. I worry that I'm incapable to truly dissect it for fear of being wrong, but I wonder if there are a few things I should be brave enough to try to glean from it?

First of all, it sticks out to me that Samuel says he'd be sinning against YHWH not to pray for the people. I have so many questions.

Would it be sin because Samuel was playing some sort of priest role for the people? Is it connected at all to the priesthood? (He seems to play the part of prophet over priest, but maybe I'm not looking at the full picture?)

Or is this more a statement about the LORD and about His people? About the values of God? That God desires of us to pray for the things/people He values? If this is so, are there people in my life that I have neglected to pray for, and in so doing, I have sinned against my God?

I'm not sure how big of a leap that is, but I wonder if I maybe need to reevaluate who I haven't been praying for and who I am.

I know I have definitely failed people in neglecting to pray for them. In so doing, am I sinning against God? Or are these different concepts? I think I have to be careful about this though, that I don't simply pray out of duty because I need to pray for a certain amount of people a certain amount of time to be in with Jesus. I don't think that's how it works, BUT I do think there's possibly an underlying point that is worth noting. What do you think?

Father?

Would YOU direct my prayer list? I don't know that I've ever thought about that, about having You teach me who I should pray for, but would You please direct my heart? Help me to see the deeper issue here, the one that's hidden. What was Samuel really saying? What does this say about You and prayer? Jesus, please speak into the silence.

Thank You so much for the way that You work things out so beautifully. I really am grateful to be Yours, Daddy.

In Jesus' name.
amen. <3

No comments: